Tuesday Purchases - 5/23

While I work on my review of Savage Dogs, here is a list of three films that arrived on my doorstep this week and why I bought them. This should tide you over until the review arrives.

1. Heat (Definitive Director's Edition)


I ordered this directly after watching the director's cut of Blackhat that I DVR'd off of FX. This release came out a couple of weeks ago, and at that point I thought I would stick with my DVD copy until I heard word on whether or not the upgrade was worth it. Then, I noticed it was $6.99. That was enough to push me to the point of purchase.

It should be worth noting that I went on a Michael Mann watching/buying spree last year, and still have the theatrical cut of The Last of the Mohicans and Ali (all editions) to get through, but Heat may jump to the top of the "Mann to Watch" pile simply because it's the latest release.

2. Graduation



In the late aughts, I became a big fan of modern Romanian cinema because of Cristian Mungiu's 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days. That film remains a masterpiece that, to my knowledge, has not received a proper release on Blu-ray.

Mungiu's latest film, Graduation, received a Blu-ray release last week from the fine folks at Curzon Artificial Eye in the UK. I don't know if it can top 4 Months, 3 Week and 2 Days, but the reviews were incredibly solid and this film was at the top of my list of films to see theatrically earlier this year. With it seeming unlikely that Graduation would play in Maine, I pulled the trigger and imported the Blu-ray without any hesitation or regrets.

3. I, Daniel Blake



I'll keep this one quick. The only film from Ken Loach that I have seen is The Wind That Shakes the Barley. I thought it was a fantastic film. I had the poster for that film up in my college dorm room. It was a very cool thing to do in 2007. Very cool.

Despite the fact that I loved that film, I never felt overly compelled to seek out Loach's other works. And truth be told, the only reasons I picked this title up was because I wanted to save on shipping from the UK (or make it seem like I was saving on shipping by ordering this with Graduation) and I knew that the film still has not had a theatrical release in the US. On top of those two reasons, the reviews are solid, so looking forward to it.

Comments

Popular Posts